The company was founded as “Metalúrgica de Santa Ana, SA” and originally manufactured agricultural equipment. The company was set up with a start up of just 3 million pesetas following a drive by the Spanish government in 1954 who were offering start-up incentives to local businesses to encourage development in the Andalucia region of Southern Spain. The company decided to expand beyond its original products line and entered into talks with the Rover car company in 1956 in an attempt to get a licensing agreement to build Land Rover Series models in their factory, in a similar way to the Minerva company in Belgium and Tempo in Germany, both of which built Series Land Rovers under license. An agreement was reached in 1956 and production began in 1958 it was licensed to build Land Rover models. The Santana Motor company built Series Land Rovers under license in CKD form; essentially parts were shipped over from the Land Rover factory in Solihull and the Land Rovers were built up from this ‘kit’ at the Santana factory in Spain.
Look it up at: